Monday, January 26, 2015

Julie Smith Responds!

I just received two short emails from Crystal ceder [sic] (a.k.a. "Julie Smith" ?), and as I suspected, she doesn't seem to think she did anything wrong.

Update:  I originally posted the entire text of Crystal's emails, but after checking on the copyright laws regarding emails I decided that doing so was iffy in both legal and ethical terms. So I've replaced the content of her messages in this post with the gist of the communication.

-=-=-

Subject: no subject
From: Crystal ceder
Date: Mon, Jan 26, 2015 12:43 pm 
[Crystal stated that she received the recipes by email from "a friend" and created the medieval cookbook as a favor for her. She also seemed to feel that she was being punished unfairly. She then went on to say that my recipes would be removed from the cookbook when her account was reinstated. Note that I never asked Amazon to block her account, but only that the book be removed from their catalog. Finally, Crystal stated that I copied some of the recipes from other sources, but did not go into specifics.]

-=-=-

Subject: RE:
From: "Daniel Myers"
Date: Mon, Jan 26, 2015 1:30 pm 
Hi Crystal, 
I'm really curious which of the recipes you think aren't mine. I still
have the copy of your ebook, and the ingredients and method for every
single recipe were taken directly from my website. Please let me know
which sources you think the recipes came from as they may also be
violating my copyright. 
The fact that you did this for a friend does not make any difference.
The fact that someone emailed something to you does not make it
copyright free, and presenting the work of others as being your own is
plagiarism. 
Regards, 
Daniel Myers
MedievalCookery.com

[a list of recipes from her cookbook and my corresponding web pages followed - they can be seen in my previous post on this matter]

-=-=-

Subject: no subject
From: Crystal ceder
Date: Mon, Jan 26, 2015 12:46 pm 
[Crystal's second email took the form of a brief postscript to the first. She said she'd looked through my website and that many of my recipes were stolen from other "medieval cookbooks". Again she did not provide specifics. She then implied that I was being hypocritical for saying what she did was wrong.

-=-=-

Subject: RE:
From: "Daniel Myers"
Date: Mon, Jan 26, 2015 1:34 pm 
Hi again, 
I'm very surprised to hear you say that. Can you provide an example of
which recipe you think is stolen?  
What made your situation wrong was that you plagiarized by presenting
someone else's work as your own and that you violated copyright laws by
including copyrighted material without permission. 
Regards, 
Daniel Myers
MedievalCookery.com

No comments: